Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Guns are Dyslexic?!

For the past several months, I have thought my son has a form of dyslexia.  I don't really know what you would call it, but he consistently writes his name with an L that looks more like a mirrored 7. No matter how many times I have corrected him, he still writes it wrong.

Today, when he was filling out his valentines for his cubbies class, I wrote his name for him and put it right above where he was working.  That way he would be able to see it and mimic how I wrote it as an example.

The first one was perfect, as was the second, third, fourth...

And THEN he started reverting to "his way" of writing his name. 

I only needed fifteen valentines to send to his class and I bought a box with 24 so I knew I had a few to spare.  I kept reminding him how he was supposed to be writing his name by pointing to the example valentine and yet he still wrote his name with a mirrored 7.

4 times in a row!

WHAT GIVES?! 

I had finally had enough and though I was super patient with him, I thought I surely have a kid who has some sort of inability to read an L the right way.

And then he said it, and it became CLEAR as day.

"But Mommy, I like making a gun."

He is making his l's look like a gun.  My 4 year old. Is. Making. His. L's. Look. Like. A. Gun.

Yes, my husband is a police officer.  Yes, we have several guns.  Yes, Liam HAS seen those guns.

But NEVER have we really discussed guns with him. 

He and Sarah play with Star Wars guns and dart guns and I assume that is more what he means when he is making his L like a gun.

Apparently I need to teach him how to make an upside down gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment